Friday, October 14, 2005

Just do it...


OK, now this is beyond a joke. I've been monitoring a pile of dishes in the sink for a while now. I haven't mentioned them before, because there have been other fiascos of a more pressing nature to deal with.

About three weeks ago The Flatmate mentioned that she was going to do the dishes. Due to the subtle nature of cohabitation with someone you passionately hate, but have not yet disclosed said hatred to, combined with the more normal facade required of 2 cohabitees, I did nothing more than grunt noncomittally. You see, to have done anything else would have been wrong.

This is the way I see it. She says that not because she intends to do the dishes. Quite the reverse. Nobody ever intends to do the dishes. For example:

Bob: "Hello Jane, what are you doing this weekend?"

Jane: "Oh, Hi Bob. I intend to do the dishes."

No. It simply is not something that is ever given any more importance in a person's life than some vague intention in the future of cutting down on carbs, or maybe joining a gym, or recycling more, or donating to charity, or changing your old postal address, or registering to vote, or writing a will.

The Flatmate merely says this because she is aware that I am aware of the swaying tower of filth in my kitchen, and by doing so she admits partial responsibility therefore and attaches thereto a benign quasi-promise so that I do not have to worry about it, because after she has amended the codicil referring to the executor and calculated what BMI she should have she might get around to the dishes, that is if she doesn't get distracted by the pressing desire to call aunt Gracie in the Upper Limpopo, who she hasn't spoken to in simply ages. She just doesn't want any trouble, now move along, preferably out of the kitchen.

So, for me to do anything other than grunt would be to pass some form of moral judgement on her ranking of this task in the list of shit to do. And for cohabitees this can involve a distribution of karma.

Now she knows, and I know, that the reasonable period of time for her to carry out this quasi-promise is elastic. But it must be her that does the dishes. She has ownership of that task. For me to do them would involve trespassing upon her personal list of shit-to do.

It would be like saying: "You fat bitch, join a fucking gym. How can you go out in public like that? Look at you! And for Christ's sake donate to charity, learn to draw with charcoal and read more you degenerate philistine. And that fucking Aunt of yours called again. In tears. You bitch!"

And so; I restrain myself.

And so does she.

Today's reason I hate my flatmate: she is a degenerate philistine who cannot draw with charcoal and would rather drink so much vodka that she is late to work too many times in one week, losing yet another job, blaming some malignant employer for sacking her arse, spending all her remaining money on cigarettes and expensive face cream instead of rent and NOT DOING THE DISHES LIKE SHE SAID SHE WOULD!!!

15 Comments:

Blogger JTN said...

I knew a guy who got so upset at his filthy roommates for never doing the dishes, he dramatically broke every dish in the house except 1 bowl, 1 plate, and 1 set of silverware per person.

He then informed them that since everyone only had one, they better wash it after using it.

If you can't do that (or don't want to destroy your own stuff), I'd suggest quietly washing it all, put it in a storage bin with a rather strong lock on it, and stock the kitchen with disposable styrofoam and plastic utensils.

11:44 PM, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

*yawn*

I'm sure it says somewhere, like in the subtitle/description of this blog, that this was to be updated daily.

It used to be.

11:25 AM, October 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is classic, great to see you posting again!

despite it being something insanely frustrating for you, it's great entertainment for us, so thanks :)

do you ever do anything to get back at your flatmate? something that pisses her off? makes her boil up and go nuts? that could be a whole new bitchaboutyourflatmate entry on it's own!

11:56 AM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger TZ said...

Brilliant - just found your site, and I'm so hearing you, see flatmatesfromhell.blogspot I agree with lou - if people can't see reason, revenge is the answer. An old flatmate of mine confessed to peeing in our nightmare flatmates shampoo bottle - priceless.

3:59 PM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger TZ said...

Brilliant - just found your site, and I'm so hearing you, see flatmatesfromhell.blogspot I agree with lou - if people can't see reason, revenge is the answer. An old flatmate of mine confessed to peeing in our nightmare flatmates shampoo bottle - priceless.

4:00 PM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger Madame D said...

Dishes truly are a deal breaker for me. It takes an insane amount of need, or perhaps caffeine, for me to do dishes.
It may not appear so on the surface, but my ex and I really got divorced because I refused to do the dishes any longer.

9:46 PM, October 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

, I want to thank you for this post. I was nearing the end of my rope in my search for emeril stainless steel cookware, and even though this post didn't exactly meet my needs, it was such a worthwhile read that it gave me some more energy to continue. Thanks again. I can only hope to find more gems in my search for emeril stainless steel cookware.

6:09 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger VitaminC said...

I used to have a roommate who would use all my dishes and stacked them in the sink for days. When I asked her to do the dishes so I can use them. (They're mine after all)Her response was "they're your dishes, I didn't use them.Why do I have to wash them?"I was so furious that I washed them and packed all of them in the box in my room with a lock.

12:00 AM, October 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had a roommate that would use all the dishes then when her boyfriend came around would get him to wash up for her so her hands and nails would not get dirty. And he didn't come round that often, so it ended up me having to wash up - again. I mean i don't mind washing up, but not all the time, especially when its not my mess.

9:53 PM, November 01, 2005  
Blogger Peas on Toast said...

OK, with all the popularity surrounding your blog, I ask you this: why don't you reply to any comments?? I really think you should. In fact, I really really really think you should. People have questions you know, we want to know more!

So answer this: are you from South Africa? You are aren't you?

2:25 PM, November 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there , I'm tryin' to find the latest information on when I found your site. Although this post wasn't a perfect match, I enjoyed the read.
Just shifting focus and tryin' to learn more on and how your doing with it. Great information here, thanks.

I’m definitely going to book mark this page. And when you have time take a look at my
Link. It’s a absolute must for all marketers.

Thank You

6:39 AM, December 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there ,

You have a great looking blog with a lot of helpful information.
I am book marking this page.

I was out searching for more info on internet marketing information when I found
your page. Although this post wasn’t exactly what I was
interested in. I had to stop……..GREAT POST

I’m tryin’ to find more information on internet marketing information.

Have you ever thought of adding Instant Audio to your
Website and emails?..... It will double your sales in the
First 30 days.

Click on the link to see how this will change the power of
your business.

2:36 AM, December 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I really enjoyed your post. You have a great blog with
a lot of helpful information on it.

I’m out searching the web for more info on internet marketing information
related. Even though this post wasn’t a perfect match.
I enjoyed your post.

I need to find more information on internet marketing information
related info.

Have you ever thought of adding Instant Audio to your
website and emails. Adding a personal touch will double
your income in the first month.

Click on the link to see how this can change the power of
your business………

3:14 AM, December 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chill out, its only ruddy dishes!

10:43 PM, November 14, 2006  
Anonymous HMS Home Warranty said...

It may not appear so on the surface, but my ex and I really got divorced because I refused to do the dishes any longer.

9:51 AM, March 28, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home