Television

As you may know, I'm not a huge fan of the television, although occasionally there will be something on that is worth watching. Televsion programs are more likely to make me interested if they are; informative, interesting, funny, thought provoking, original, and critical. Obviously not all of the shows I watch fit all of these catagories, but the more the better.
This morning my flatmate turned on the television to watch re-runs of "Caught by the Bell". For those who haven't heard of this series, count yourself lucky. I could feel my IQ being sucked out of my brain just by sitting in the same room as the television. This 1980s American trash should never have been produced. It would most certainly a crime to broadcast this program in some parts of the world, but somehow, this show appeals to my flatmate. In fact every morning she is up before me, she will be sitting on the couch watching it.
Today's reason my flatmate pisses me off is she continuously watches trash television when she could choose from a near limitless number of other channels.
Update: The show is called "Saved by the bell", not "Caught by the bell". Thanks for Jamy for pointing out my ignorance of this poor quality program.

46 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I do think you mean "Saved by the Bell." It is a show with negative redeeming qualities. However, I think if this were your flatmate's only sin, it wouldn't be that big a deal. Given that you already hate her (with good cause) it's easy to see mildly annoying, and marginally amusing, behavior as hateful. Keep writing, though, it's very entertaining! I can’t wait to see how this saga will end.
Ahh... if this is the same American trash I think you speak of, here it's called "Saved By The Bell," and I agree with you. I don't believe it's in reruns here anymore, but I might be wrong. Being American, I'll admit there is little worth watching on TV lately that isn't filled with graphic violence, cheap looking, tawdry women, mind numbing, stupid reality TV programs and trashy talk shows. I call it the dumbing down of America, and embarrassed to say we produce bottom of the barrel TV.
Your roommate needs a life, but I still find your posts entertaining!
My housemates watch a very feeble relation of MTV *all the time*. It only seems to ever have 6 videos on rotation. They don't seem to care - they stare at the screen in silent awe.
I thought you had to be in Junior High to watch that show. Wait, you do have to be in Junior High to watch that show. How old is that flatmate of yours?
On behalf of America, I formally apologize for "Saved by the Bell". However, I'm fairly certain you Brits are to be held responsible for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire", so I'd say we're pretty even.
Ah, "Saved by the Bell." Oh how I loathe thee. I was at the exact correct age when this was running to watch it. And although myself and everyone else my age might deny it, we all watched it. Now if a rerun is on it's always "Yeah, I saw that one." Now I can't stand the tripe that it is, yet it still has an allure that draws me to watch a few minutes. If it becomes to painful too watch turn it into a drinking game. That's always been a lot of fun.
In America, people can say anything they want, e.g. bitching about their roommate, do anything they want, e.g. watching as much trash TV as they like, and love anyone they want (*hint* my roommate even though he's not fond of me).
I love the sweet sweet freedom in the US. God Bless America !
PS: Dear Flatmate, who was watching Jerry Springer last night ? WITH Popcorn !
Wow this entry has shifted to a support group for the Saved By the Bell generation! Did no one appreciate Slater's pants and all their bunchy glory? This blog is great by the way... any thoughts on a full fledged support group? Over here our uni semester is almost over, so only 2 more months with my roommate (officially referred to as the nothing).
Hey! I just wanted to say that your blog is really cool! Sometimes you describe situations which everyone of us has experienced in. e.g. your problem with tv-series of very poor quality :)
But not only tv-series can be bad! I live in germany and we got a song called "schnappi". It's so horrible!!! It sounds like a child's melody and the according video clip has got a feeling of kindergarten-made....
keep writing! Andy
Saved by the bell was a TERRIBLE show. Granted I was about 2 years older than the target audience; when you hit 14, your interest in this show (or tolerance for it) drops off like a cliff.
There was another terrible show called "_???_ Time" that followed it, looked exactly like it, but with strikingly attractive kids. They were no Screech, but they made stopping on that channel for 30 seconds wortwhile.
By the way, here in the States, Screech now appears on celebrity boxing. He is still my hero.
I found a Knife Set for you. I think it could be like a daily therapy session for you.
I hate stupid television, it's like the McDonalds comericials where a Chicken Strip is talking to you... its just dumb and if you watch it, it makes you feel dumber.
oh my god. Saved By The Bell was a classic representation of our life in the 80's! So what if the cast was predictable, the plots uniform and mindless - that show was fucking awesome and anyone who's too superior to appreciate it along with all their ciritcal thinking shows is a close-minded arse.
If anything, Saved By The Bell is completely hilarious for the reasons stated above and sometimes I like to sit down and have a good fucking laugh.
Quit trashing trash TV and read a book.
-C
I found a Knife Set for you. I think it could be like a daily therapy session for you.
I hate stupid television, it's like the McDonalds comericials where a Chicken Strip is talking to you... its just dumb and if you watch it, it makes you feel dumber.
wow i watched "Saved by the bell" when i was really little but i didn't like it, it was on and i just sat and was too lazy to get up and change the channel... i watched it once last year and i NEVER want to see it again...... y does ur roommate like to learn about nothing? cuz thats all that show is about..lol.
Would people plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz stop talking bad about my favorite show already ?@?@??!.
Its bad enuff that you guys have a website to bitch about me, but my favorite show also !!! Have some heart people !
Some shows are good when they first hit the air, but there are some re-runs that just shouldn't be re-run. I'm sorry I'll probably offend I love Lucy fans but I can only watch an episode of her once how much fake face making crying can you take. It wasn't funny the first time what makes them think it will be funny the second time.
my love,
my heart withers like a frostbitten rosebud knowing that you live in such torment. i long for the day when our hearts can finally bridge the gap betwixt our distant continents. we live together in my dreams. we have signed a lease of love that will last much longer than one earth year. we have so much in common as i am a passive aggressive, obsessive neat freak that very openly hates EVERYONE. will you move in with me?
with love and devotion,
-charles
I totally met the actor that played Mr. Belding on "Saved by the Bell." It's sort of sad to meet someone you revered as a kid once you're old enough to know that they are really not cool. Still, I got his autograph for nostalgia sake.
Have you ever watched the show? Sure, it's horrible, but it's also horribly funny because of its trashiness.
Adrianne, I don't think anyone can hold you responsible for the outfit you wore when you were two. This show started in 1989, so you probably don't even remember 20 years ago.
Hey There!!
I completely sympthasis with you however having been in a similar situation... i coan only say:
Please enjoy the situation - not only does it provide a quality read and stimulate empathy, but I'm sure you find that the lower the lows are (created by your flatmate) the better the highs - believe me.
I was in a similar situation, then moved out due to finishing uni, to move back in with my parents (dont worry its temp!) but it seemed much worse!
Laters
Hi,
Think your site is fwackin halarious-- and a bigs ups to detailing meticulously the ups and downs of living with people with poor living habits-- or habits unlike your own...I live with one of my in laws who is from a different culture and some of the things he does are weird to say the least-- like cleaning the bath jub when the last time it was used was over a month ago?!...and when doing the dishes turning the cold water taps on full ball even if hes not even washing dishes but chopping onions. The pictures are fucking awesome and absoluetly halarious--good on you for making the site so worthwile...
Another question I have-- which you might delete for prvacy reasons but I'll ask it anyways: is this a new zealand blog-- i only say that because I heard through the grape vine about an award winnning site written about a guy who either pretentds to be a girl or writes about one...who lives in wellington, NZ...
Anway, i'm hooked-- cheers.
Hi,
Think your site is fwackin halarious-- and a bigs ups to detailing meticulously the ups and downs of living with people with poor living habits-- or habits unlike your own...I live with one of my in laws who is from a different culture and some of the things he does are weird to say the least-- like cleaning the bath jub when the last time it was used was over a month ago?!...and when doing the dishes turning the cold water taps on full ball even if hes not even washing dishes but chopping onions. The pictures are fucking awesome and absoluetly halarious--good on you for making the site so worthwile...
Another question I have-- which you might delete for prvacy reasons but I'll ask it anyways: is this a new zealand blog-- i only say that because I heard through the grape vine about an award winnning site written about a guy who either pretentds to be a girl or writes about one...who lives in wellington, NZ...
Anway, i'm hooked-- cheers.
I totally understand. I call it trash TV. One of my housemates enjoys watching that kind of stuff. It is rather annoying to me and I don't see the fun in it. Personally, I think it is killing braincells.
one other thing about TV which another person watches but which you find abhorrent or irrating at the very least; I'll tell you try watching ethnic programming in a forigen language-- my wife watches chinese movies all the time...She gets these VCD and DVD that all her chinese freinds swap and lend each other-- but I just can't stand them..there sooo boring-- and not because I cant understand a word of chinese but because they *are* genuinely boring-- nothing ever happens--..they are like 5-10 hour longs movies-- sometimes fat packs of like ten CDs which take my wife whole months to finish watching...I watch some of one on monday about a man and a woman in love (typical) and a week after she has watched so many hours worth I take a sneak peak and i swear nothing has changed-- the guy and the girl are still doing the same shit! No change. Its like those midday soaps (young and the restless) that don't change for years... The worst thing is when I get a really good western movie out she can't sit still for more than ten minutes before her concentraion wanders-- she's bored...I can't belive it: Marlon Brando in "on the water front" bores her, stanely kubrick movies, early Marin scorcese, even tarantino, bores her...Although she will not turn down an offer to the cinema to watch a movie of my choice...usually we argue about whether to watch those "childrens" animated things, like the recent garfeild-- or something more serious that i like...Its a cultural problem I guess
*LOL* I'm really amazed that you can still find so many things not to like about your flatmate.. not sure who this says most about, her or you.. But what the heck, it's still funny :o))
Bob The Gallery Blogger
Hey. I have a link to your site on mine, and I was wondering it was okay to post a picture from this site next to it.
Wow, I don't know what to say...except that I'm approximately 100,000,000,000,000,00 times more grateful for my roommate.
Dude... Saved by the Bell is the most radicalnesses of radicals. You don't even know dude. Like, it moves me on like SO many levels dude.
In other news, I'm beginning to think that you hate everything...not just your flatmate.
Well, it could be worse. At least your flatmate isn't watching re-runs of The Partridge Family. That would be much worse.
Luckily for me, the series was aired down here in South Africa during my teen years, so I was never fooled into thinking it was cool =P
This is my first time reading your blog by the way. Great stuff!
Hey dude, I don't know if bagging Saved By The Bell is such a good idea. I tried to do the same a while back, and Screech turned up at my door step with a rusty chainsaw.
I won't bore you with the details of how I managed to escape that rather hairy situation - but be warned, you could be next.
Ben
http://thingsivewritten.blogspot.com
Oh dear... you had to suffer Saved by the Bell? My appologies. Not all Americans are interested in exporting suffering and pain. Please do not judge us all by that unfortunate show! *g*
Whatever, man, I'm with Mr. Gibe on this one. Zach and the gang were a great companion those schoolday afternoons back in Jr. High.
I mean, I might have gotten hooked on drugs a long time ago if I hadn't learned my lesson from Jessi Spano's adventures with caffeine pills.
For some bitter-free roommate action, check out my homepage. (sorry for the shameless plug... we all have roommate woes.)
http://betterthanhamlet.blogspot.com
i loved Saved By The Bell! it was funny! just because you can't appreciate your flatmate's taste doesn't make her a sinner k. Seriously, you sound like an uptight loser whose only outlet is to on the net and type shit about others. Why don't you confront them about this? Why not try see how they must think you're an annoying little twit who is a paranoid control freak? Or better still! why not accept the fact that not everyone is like you and LIVE WITH IT.
I know the show you're talking about. Last week in class a group of students started singing some song from it. I had to ask what it was. They all started spouting lines and talking about their favourite episodes....Blech. Maybe it's because they're drama majors they just can't help it. Maybe it's how they prepare for their future in bad theatre. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
The whole "Caught by the bell", "Saved by the bell" mistake is so obviously contrived it's laughable. You are a phony snot.
face it. any dramas that takes about 5-10 hours and comes in a huge pack are boring. they are usually budget and unusually draggy for any languages. there are those with 1000+ episodes. count yourself lucky punk.
Ahhh Saved By the Bell. How are Zack and Screech these days?
Hey- careful about beating up on pop-classics!
What's next- massacre @ Degrassi (original series), smites on Spongebob? It's pop-culture that will be our time's electronic fossils of tomorrow. Germs are one thing, but trash TV is sacred. Maybe you just really need a good bong and then all the nasty will go bye bye, commendant!
commendant, commandant. Delete aint working so my mistake is open to the mirth of all...for shame...!
Argh!
I hate that programme!
Its so full of rubbish stereotypes, and is just dire beyond belief.
If they watch it again, throw some warm milk at them...
Didn't saved by the bell launch the careers of Tiffany Amber Thiessen and Elizabeth Berkeley?
I know my life would be less rich without them.
My girlfriend's older brother, who occasionally lives in our basement for what begins as a week but always stretches into several months if not a year, tries to watch "Smack Down" (bogus American wrestling) on the living room tv. "Not a chance, bucko," I tell him as I send him back to the dungeon.
The more I read of your flatmate, the more I realize: I am in love with her. I will leave my wife, my business and everything I have to come and move in with her, which will give you additional fodder for your blog.
Please kindly send me her phone number so we can meet.
dear,i do find your blog entertaining,but i must admit i begin to realize it is not the naive and silly things your flatmate does that make me laugh,but the way you react.Now, i do realise it can be truly impossible to live with an irresponisible childish person,but i think your own character is not better.you seem to me a perfectionist and a complexed person.and lately you seem to find,search for anything to pick on about your flatmate.i think its you who should get a life and stop being so stuck up.yeah,so what she likes watching a silly show,i used to watch it too,and i think it was a good way of entertaining myself and releasing my brain from negative emotions.i suggest u watch something of a kind once in a while.
Post a Comment
<< Home