Thursday, November 10, 2005

A meditation on light


Light is conventionally thought of now as being composed of photons. Photons themselves are either particles, like the corpuscles of yore, or waves (for example, it can be diffracted a la the double slit experiment), depending how you look at them. This forces an inescapable conclusion. Light is created. It has a source. Darkness doesn't have a source, and doesn't need to be created

These considerations can give rise to weighty philosophical arguments about the nature of God and the price of Orange Roughie in the Sydney fish markets. I recommend you all to go to the Sydney fish markets, buy one of these rare and endangered fishes, and barbecue the little bastard in Bondi. Particularly good if you can surround yourself with bronzed oiled bodies on a boat away from prying eyes..

But I digress. To live, civilised man needs light. Light is created. The wisdom of the day is that the excitation of atoms by heat or electromagnetic means will liberate photons. By manipulating the conditions of same, particular types and colours of light are produced. All very entertaining so far

This was given a practical and commercial existence by an entertaining bloke called Edison. It is said that the very first lightbulbs were made decades earlier, but "Alva" was the first to turn a profit. What is not universally known is that Edison's bulbs were built upon patents he had acquired from the previous inventors. His filament was actually made of bamboo, rather than tungsten. It was with the discovery of a process allowing tungsten filaments to be made cheaply that the bulb really took off as a domestic way of creating light. They are now about 10cents

I returned to The Habitat this week to discover that in fact some of the lightbulbs has expired. Shuffled off the mortal coil, as it were... Joined the choir invisibule... I was mildly annoyed, at first. I'm sure this is the correct reaction to a dead, unreplaced bulb - a mild annoyance and a desire to smash something small and inexpensive

As I journeyed through The Habitat I grew more and more furious. An halogen down light in the kitchen was gone, as was a large screw-in spot. Three of those little ones that are supposed to look like candles were gone in the living room, one on the stairs, two in my bedroom, all the lights in the bathroom and one on the landing. Unless The Habitat has become infected with the poltergeist of an anti-social goth, then I cannot see the demise of 12 lightbulbs as anything other than some deliberate sabotage by The Flatmate. Ironically I found myself incandescent with rage in the bathroom, filled with the desire to kill and maim. It was not the simple fact of the failed bulbs, but that they had been allowed to remain unreplaced for so long

Today's reason I hate my flatmate: Over the last two hundred years some of the most intelligent scientists, industrialists and capitalists have laboured for the rest of humanity so that there might be light. These demi-gods of invention have allowed civilisation to spread down the food chain to the level of my flatmate, who completely spurns their efforts because she is a cretinous philistine and not content with insulting the endeavours of these genii, insults me by deliberately failing to replace even a single bulb in the bathroom, which is dark now from 4:43pm in the afternoon until almost 7am, and which she uses in this darkened condition, probably spreading all manner of feculent bodily filth across the room in perfect anonymity and furthermore leaving me to attend to the purchase and replacement of the said bulbs without offer of compensation or apology.

10 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

or u can just liv in darkness

2:30 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you and I would make the perfect flatmates. I'm not kidding. I have hated, or come to hate, every single roommate I have ever had. Let me just say, that I completely understand your situation, and that I sympathize with you. My new flatmate just recently ruined yet another teapot of mine by turning on the burner, without actually putting water in the pot. I have had two other flatmates who have done exactly the same thing. Except this latest on, she didn't even apologize, never mind offer to replace it. I am currently on strike about the dishes, too. Hers have been sitting there for a week, unwashed, yet again. I am going to chuck her out window soon.

Funny part is, everyone who hears we sane, clean, polite people complain about people like them, automatically thinks we are just perfectionist bitches. Not true!

My heart and best wishes go out to you, a fellow soldier, waging war against the reversal of humanity's intelligence.

3:14 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

you can express yourself and post hateful messages on my new site: gohate.com

Welcome and have fun!
Mike.

p.s. Also I'd like to swap links with your blog!

9:30 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Dude, think about the blogger material-the catharsis-the everything, if you were to sabotage something of hers. Go in there and throw her clothes out of the window, then have a cat fight. Scream at her and pull her hair.

Then write about it. Cos I wanna read about it.

6:49 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger Fox said...

I feel for you dude, That is rough and nasty treatment! I think I might of bought a tourch or a single lightbulb that i carry round with me so i might have light and she could not. Then see how long she lasts ;)
or
you could swap all the broken bulbs for the ones in her room :)
Fox

9:46 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger SV said...

You're in London aren't you ?

11:40 AM, November 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tell you one thing... my flatmate has decided halfway through term to move out and live with her boyfriend... she claims because she cant afford the rent... she has just bought herself a £200 phone. we are liable for her rent and she is a nightmare... do not live with people who u think are friends... trust me they will take u for a ride!

6:39 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger Holden said...

Hey

I thought your Blog is down, now by chance I again stumbled over it and see that your moving didn't end up in paradise. I'm sorry your new flatmate is as bad as your old one, but for all us, your readers it's great. Have a good time!

Dancing With Tears In My Eyes

7:07 PM, November 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least while you have a shitty flat-mate, you have something good to wite about, eh?
good luck murdering her, and if you are ever in aus afterwards i am willing to help you hide for the sake of dead, bad flat-mates.

please like that take the "mate" out of "flat-mate", don't they?

11:27 AM, November 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel. It is as if most the people who are destined to be my flatmates come from a special island called 'asshole' in which the most pathetic wankers in the world are spawned. At the moment I am living with this guy who is a complete fucking narcissist. I honestly don't know how long I can accept his shit.

1)He thinks he can "manipulate people by changing a single word in the sentences he is using". Please, just because you have a psychology degree doesn't mean that you can control others.

2)When he says something he doesn't just make a proposition or a statement that is personally true for himself. He speaks as if his opinion is a universal truth. So instead of saying
"I find it easy to be happy" he would say "It is easy for everyone to be happy". What a cock!

3)He thinks he can see the future. In my experience people who think they have psychic abilities are mediocre people who are so desperate to feel special they end up making something up and in the end they start to believe their own bullshit.

4)He is a pagan. I am agnostic and I have lived with people of many religions ranging from Mormon to Jewish. Out of all religious people pagans tend to suck the most. They are most likely to be pretentious and annoying.

I hate this guy like poison and I would move if I could but I have to wait until the middle of this year.

10:31 AM, February 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home