Monday, January 31, 2005

Fire Hazard

One problem about my flat mate's complete and utter disrespect for cleanliness and tidyness means her room is an absolute disaster. But usually I don't mind what they do in their room as long as they don't mess up the rest of the house. But I do care when random pieces of clothes and other flammable material are left draped over power sockets and cables, and covering heat exausts of electronic equipment. Desipite being asked numerous times, she is too lazy to rectify the problem, and the fact she doesn't understand this is a fire hazard, she is either completely stupid or unbelievably pathetically naive. Unfortunately, I'd say it is a little, sorry a lot of both.

Today's reason my flatmate pisses me off;

She creates fire hazards in her room without considering the consequences.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can identify only too well...

One year, all the phones in the house stopped working. We couldn't figure it out. When she went home for Christmas, I decided I would go figure out WTF happened. The phone lines entered the house through her room, and after tearing out two of the jacks, I found a third one behind her desk. She had pinched the phone cord directly against the electric heater by pushing her desk against the heater (making it impossible to keep the room warm as a bonus). The smoldering wire had shorted, causing the phone malfunction and almost a fire.

The SECOND time she almost burned down the house was equally brilliant... she had put some water to boil in a cheap pot she had bought. Went downstairs to our other flatmate's room to check her email. Gets distracted on Messenger until she smells "something funny." Goes upstairs to find the pot has boiled dry and has commenced MELTING on the burner. She grabs the pot and heads for the sink, dripping a molten tin/aluminium alloy on the hardwood floor as she goes. Small fires ignite. She screams and throws the pot in the sink, burning herself. She burns her slippers putting out the small fires scorching our hardwood floor. Classic.

Of course, she wasn't responsible the THIRD time our house almost burned down. That was my other flatmate, with his famous "self-cleaning" toaster oven. When it finally caught on fire, I called him upstairs to have a look. He freaks, starts blowing into the oven. I almost decked him when he started the faucet to put some water on this little grease fire, but managed to clear it up with a quick shot of the extinguisher.

Today's reason I hate your flatmate: Too much like some I've had before.

9:16 PM, February 02, 2005  
Blogger Michele said...

I've read all of your blog entries -- a fascinating psychological study! Are all these examples about ONE roommate? Yikes! I feel so bad for you. I've had roommates that I didn't always appreciate, but they never came close to being as bad as yours. God bless you!

6:48 PM, February 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you have some winners there....
my sister had a flatmate who decided to "dry" his freshly washed towel by draping it over a naked light bulb (turned on off course), while he went for a run, leaving the house unoccupied!

everyone arrived home to find the house full of smoke,and a whole the size of a dinner plate in the towel!

this guy is supposed to be an engineer...

11:17 PM, February 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To add to the bad roommates discussion, my ex-roommate decided that her and her boyfriend were going to cook dinner one night as I was leaving for my evening class. I should have known it was not a good idea as I walked out the door and the stove was smoking. The next day when we both returned home, I learned that she had poured oil into a pot on the stovetop, covered it, put it on HIGH, and forgot about it (I'm sure no thanks to her boyfriend). So being the brilliant person she is, she grabs the pot (no potholder of course) and runs outside onto the cement balcony to dump it out. She then proceeds to uncover it with her bare hands, and it explodes all over her and the balcony, leaving 2nd degree burns on her hands, and a nice huge oil stain on the balcony. And of course she never cleaned up the oil spill like she said she would.

3:11 AM, February 04, 2005  
Blogger vapid ness said...

We told this person from huddersfield not to build up the open fire in his room too high as the chimney was going to be lined soon and as it backed on to a wooden priesthole it was a bad idea to make too big a fire.

But he was cold and decided to burn the whole fucking house down instead.

1:27 PM, February 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this blog, such a good read. This whole story about fire hazzards reminded me about two incidents happend with my roomates.

One of my roomates loved to cook deep fried food. Well instead of using freture (like all normal people) he would boild oil in a big ass wok, throw his food in there and fry it. Wok had no cower so oil spills were all over the kitchen and what a coiceidence, no one would want to clean that up. So one day while duing some studying in my room i hear "fire" i run to the kithchen to see the folwing picture. One of my roomates is waing towel over the fire coming underneath the burner aparently trying to extinguish it but it didn't help and set the other burner also full of greese on fire. A grown up men vawing his hands and screaming what to do. And the proud owner of the wok and chief "deep fry it" with a bucket full of water and about to pour it on the stove (great! lets not only burn the house but also elctricute ourselfs). So i grab the salt pure it into the burners on fire and stop it.

People usualy learn something after such incidents, that does not apply to my roomate, he kept on frying in the deepfrier and eventualy incident happend again. Only this time he tried to extinguish it same way as i did it last time. Problem is idiot decided to use sugar instead of salt... which inflamed and caused even more fire. That was second time he almoust burned our house.

guess what was my christmas present for him :)

10:11 PM, February 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's spelt as naive

6:29 AM, February 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home