Thursday, March 02, 2006

Pasta-nalysis

Spathy is recovering slowly.




Meals in the new Habitat are a communal affair. There has been a very agreeable and as yet unspoken co-operation in matters culinary as to the variegated gastronomic responsibilities of our little triumvirate.

Tonight was my turn and I cooked, in 21 minutes, some penne with a sauce comprised of equal parts capers, spring onions, chilli peppers, garlic, the finest chorizo I could get my hands on, cabernet sauvignon and vine ripened tomatoes. The pasta was boiled in a decoction of salt, oil and water (just like the Mediterranean) and Tabasco. This shit had a kick like a half grown rhinoceros. Divine (I know, I know... prego, prego). We ate it in the living room listening to Billy Bragg.

The graphic artist is currently occupied by a fascination of that famous student of Freud, a certain Carl Gustav Jung. Her collection of his works and image has taken over a room of the Habitat which houses our collection of wine, scotch, chartreuse and absinthe (and the George Formby Grill, still in its' box. In exactly the same way as a 19th century music box, when you open it and put meat in it, it plays that inimitable classic: "When I'm cleaning windows". Fucking thing is completely unusable). I'm not really sure what function this room has any more. It is part library, part shrine and part smoking room. The disturbing thing is that Jung's eyes never leave you. There are three portraits on the walls, and his visage stares blearily from the covers of various treatises and biographies. I can imagine that it is actually dangerous for the mentally infirm to spend too long in there.

Our collective unconsciousness was served desert in here by the Artist. It was, in the tradition of Blue Peter, one she'd prepared earlier: a rumball each, the size of my head, and gloopiliy delicious.

Dinner tonight was sufficiently intense under Jung's gaze as to inspire me to want to sit in the dark in my room and re-read some Frank Herbert while listening to Tool (ah... Atreides and Aenima). After the rumball in the Jung Hall, it was time for the washing up. Yes, dear reader, the trouble in the paradise...

The IT-Bastard stood up, scratched his balls ostentatiously, lit a cigarette and disappeared to go drinking with some of his IT-Bastard mates. Leaving the two of us staring in dismay at the pile of wreckage in the kitchen. A Mexican standoff developed very quickly.

The logic:

  1. I was disinclined to clean up, having executed a triumph of timing, getting the pasta al dente and the sauce perfetto coterminously. To be honest cooking con gusto is tiring, and I was entering the somnolent reaches of the evening nursing some scotch (I like my scotch like I like my women: 15 years old and called 'Johnny'). It would be uncivilised to jump up now and start packing the dishwasher.
  2. The Artist was apparently unwilling, perhaps in the belief that a pound of chocolate and a bewildering quantity of rum is sufficient to buy-out of any such obligation.
We have a fucking dishwasher for fuck's sake. It's not difficult to load. It isn't secreted in some recondite cranny of the galley. The operation of the device is achieved by the depression of a single button. Even without this labour saving miracle the clean up operation would have taken less time and effort than the making of the mess.

Why me? I'd done the shopping, paid for it, carried it home, chopped it, stirred it and alchemically transformed it. Why is it so bloody difficult to arrange the cleaning up with the same unspoken facility as the cooking? Is it the endorphins? Is it that sinister foil of the ego; the shadow? Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of my flatmates?

I surrender! I'm considering the cowardly and disposable safety of Thai noodles delivered by motorcycle (the enterprise in question is called "Thai Fighter" and the delivery guy's helmet has a particular Sith-like quality, reminiscent of certain Lord Vader. Very droll indeed). Fuck you both, I'm taking my bat and my ball and my arrabiata con tutto and I'm going the fuck home!

Oh... wait...

33 Comments:

Blogger Ada said...

Get the IT guy to do it. Oh, wait - he's a bastard.

*comforts j00*

3:17 AM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There have been many moments when I should have googled this magic phrase in the web to find out that I am not crazy and that there are many other ‘comrades’ out there, who are suffering by living with the wrong people. But I had never done it. It never crossed my mind that the internet would provide me with the solution to my problem: somebody else’s similar drama. The funny thing is that I had already announced I want to keep the flat on my own before I reached the stage of absolute despair. But I had never known what would come afterwards! I knew my flatmate was a nice girl, though totally immature, totally irresponsible, totally careless, without any social education whatsoever, a bit dirty, the laziest person in the world, etc., etc., but still I found her nice in a pure, naïve way and in a way I did love her despite the shit. She is at her 20s so I thought much should be justified due to inexperience. However, it took two and a half months for a jobless student (who has basically ONLY free time) to find a flat, and despite the fact that she found one 3 days ago, she still has not moved out completely (she has almost no furniture). My moment of complete and even conscious paranoia (if this can happen) came one moment, or one day, or week even, when only her existence was felt like electroshocks to my brain. Tomorrow she is supposed to be out out and I cannot wait to party with myself and my liberty ;-) bon courage to all of you! melita

3:40 PM, March 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the whole "nobody intends to do the dishes" thing, some time ago?

6:37 PM, March 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh. Doesn't sharing flats and student life sound fun... I can't wait to try it out - though I doubt I'll be even attempting to cook all that complex stuff. No point where it all goes unappreciated!

11:01 PM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger The Succubus said...

I loved the "desert" part... though I can't say it made any sense. I'm disappointed in you, Mr Literary.
My flatmates suck too. Which is basically why I hardly ever go home. I got sick of seeing the pile of clean and dirty dishes together on the fucking COUCH!

7:57 PM, March 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the thing is.. you;re not a student. You are meant to be a solicitor and even at a junior level you would be making enough to afford your own place. A small place no doubt - perhaps a bedsit - but if you really hate your flatemates that much - why don't you live on your own.

Which leads me to another point. You've lived in three places now - had a total of +3 flatmates. You have'nt got on with any of them. Perhaps ...and i know it sounds crazy but hear me out...perhaps the problem is you. not them. Maybe you should rename your blog ...why am I such a wanker flatmate. It can't just be bad luck

9:00 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to this website? A year ago the guy didn't know the different between a standard colon and a semi-colon; now he's turned into a walking dictionary and the posts are padded out with so much literary genius that I forget what the rant was about.

4:32 PM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real "I hate my flatmate" blogger was hied to write the forthcoming series of Benson - the friendly black butler. As a result we are left this walking theasuraus, who lacks charm, charisma and the ability to be understood.

10:11 PM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cool...

Scientists Discover 'Hairy Lobster' in Deepest Pacific

8:50 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Fox said...

Nice to see you back on form ;) Will your troubles never end? You should sell the rites to your site to some american film company, make a funny sitcom :)
Fox

11:43 AM, March 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey lobster dude did you see this thing all our weird is gioing nuts

USDA Confirms Mad Cow Case in Alabama

7:33 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger Briggsy said...

Rum ball in the Jung Hall - superb. Rest assured at least one of us got it.

5:02 PM, March 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally they are gonna fix baseball

9:31 PM, March 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mexico's Congress Legalizes Drugs for Personal Use

this is quite something...

9:00 PM, April 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and this is quite stupid


Alice Cooper Gets Keys to Alice, North Dakota

1:16 PM, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Apes Found to Be Able to Plan for Future


more nutty things

6:35 AM, May 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Study: Yoga Helps Breast Cancer Patients Reduce Treatment Side Effects


this looks like good news...???

2:46 PM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS GOOD beCAUSE I did not know about

New Designs for World Trade Center Memorial to be Presented This Week

2:40 PM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is insane

Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq

1:09 PM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He could be worse he could be one of these guys


Suicide Bombers Fail to Hit Convoy in Afghanistan

10:33 PM, June 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillary Clinton Won't Back Sen. Lieberman as Independent

they are treating him badly...

10:43 PM, July 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is quite something


Israeli Airstrike Collapses Palestinian Foreign Ministry Building in Gaza City


and scary

5:43 AM, July 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Israeli Warplanes Target Suspected Hezbollah Bunker in Beirut

this is also scary but needs to be done

1:00 AM, July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Israel Intensifies Hezbollah Attacks Deeper Into Lebanon

-----------

wowzers

12:21 AM, August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well the war is changing politics

Democrats Back Lamont; Lieberman Files for Independent Run

11:17 PM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes

Iranian, Syrian Strongmen Try to Dilute Hopes for Peace in Mideast

1:55 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what should we do here

12 Passengers Arrested After Flight to India Returns to Amsterdam

12:10 AM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we need to do something

Pakistan: We Will Capture Bin Laden If He's Found

3:00 AM, September 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is such a tragedy

Gunman Kills One, Wounds 19 in Shooting Spree at Montreal College

2:24 AM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell me what this is about

Chavez Says U.S. Empire Will Soon Fall, Calls Bush 'Devil'

11:14 PM, September 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now here we go

Former President Bill Clinton Defends Handling of Usama bin Laden in Combative FNC Interview

1:42 AM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renewed Activity Seen at Suspected North Korea Test Sites, U.S. Intelligence Says

now we are done





--

12:48 AM, October 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now whjere are we heading

Small Aircraft Crashes Into New York City High Rise, Killing Yankees Pitcher Cory Lidle

12:53 AM, October 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home